Birth Doula Services
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the new mother.
A birth doula supports the mother before, during and just after birth. Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier, and they breastfeed more easily.
The birth doula…
- Recognizes childbirth as a key life experience that the mother will remember all her life.
- Understands the process of birth and the emotional needs of a woman and her partner in labor.
- Is experienced and trained in providing labor support.
- Meets with expectant couples during pregnancy to get acquainted, explore and discuss priorities/fears/concerns, go over labor positions, comfort measures, pain-coping practices, and process your birth wishes to create a birth plan if so desired.
- Provides emotional support and physical comfort measures to birthing women from early labor until after childbirth.
- Provides suggestions in labor for comfort, pain management, and enhancing the progress of labor.
- Acts as a liaison between the laboring couple and the medical staff to facilitate communication and help the couple get the information they need to make informed decisions.
- Inspires confidence in a woman's ability to give birth in her own best way.
The birth doula does NOT…
- Perform clinical tasks, such as fetal heart tone checks or vaginal exams. She is not there for medical reasons, other than to provide support.
- Make decisions for you. However, she will help you get the information necessary to make an informed decision.
- Replace the partner during labor. Rather, she supports and encourages the partner and enhances his/her support style.
My Birth Doula Services
Free initial interview
- Two prenatal visits to get further acquainted, discuss comfort measures, answer questions and alleviate concerns.
- Training in pain-coping practices.
- Assisting you in the design of your birth plan if so desired.
- Providing educational materials and referrals as needed.
- Telephone and email support throughout pregnancy.
Labor and birth:
- Being on-call two weeks before and after your due date.
- Counseling you in asking open-ended questions so that you can make informed decisions about the care of you and your baby.
- Reiki, comforting touch and other alternative pain relief measures during labor.
- Access to a TENS unit for reducing back pain.
- Continuous support throughout labor, birth and immediate postpartum.
- Labor and birth positioning suggestions for comfort and labor progress (including use of the birth ball and rebozo).
- Providing an environment such that the partner is able to focus on the birth experience and can direct his attention to loving and supporting the laboring mother.
- Assisting the partner and family members as needed.
- Guaranteed backup doulas.
- One follow-up visit within two weeks after the birth.
- Telephone and email support up to six weeks after the birth.
- Want more? Postpartum doula services can also be arranged.
Sliding scale $900-$1200 for birth doula services, which includes a spot in my Birthing From Within childbirth class and lactation support. Arrangements can be made if money is an issue.